The Dezell House was built in 1912 by James A. and Margaret Leila Maggie Shepard Dezell. This house, with its Prairie Style architecture and Arts and Crafts features, was their family home for 46 years. James A. Dezell (1867-1937) was born in Chicago, moving from southwestern Missouri to Gadsden County in 1886. James A. Dezell was the first mayor of the Town of Greensboro, serving several terms following the first organizational meeting on August 13, 1908. The most distinctive aspects of this house’s construction are its closeness to the ground rather than sitting on piers, fine craftsmanship, and windows set in dormers that crown the roofline on each main roof slope and provide light for a skylight in the entry hall.
Torreya State Park Gregory House & CCC Bunkhouse
For many visitors, the focal point of Torreya State Park is the Gregory House, a beautiful Southern mansion built in 1849 by Jason Gregory, a prominent Calhoun County planter. The home originally stood across the river from the state park at Ocheesee Landing, but was moved here and restored during the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. Their bunkhouse, which sits in the campground, is the only remaining CCC structure in Florida.
The Heritage Village at Baptist College
The Baptist College of Florida’s Heritage Village features eight restored turn-of-the-twentieth-century churches, homes, and other structures on its campus. The most recent addition, the Clark-Wall House, was a center of activity for visitors in its day. Olan Clark, a long-time resident of Graceville, served as a deacon of the First Baptist Church of Graceville for over 30 years. The Village is operated in order to keep history alive for BCF students and visitors.
Jones House Inn
This Inn is located in Chattahoochee and was ordered from a Sears and Roebuck catalogue and assembled on site.
Keith Log Cabin
In 1880, William Thomas Keith (1856-1949) homesteaded ten acres upon which this house stands. In the fall of 1886, he built this home for himself, his wife, mother, and eight children. It also became the focus of a cotton and tobacco farm that eventually grew to more than 190 acres. By 1893, improvements included a plaza, smokehouse, corn crib, enclosed shed rooms, and a well. The Keith Cabin was originally built as a one-room, “Louisiana Roof”- style log structure with a wraparound porch, a fireplace, and a separate kitchen. This style of architecture is a rare form of 19th century construction found only in the Gulf States from east Texas to the Florida Panhandle. It is characterized by front and rear porches formed by long logs that extend beyond the main block of the house at each gable to support the broad roof overhangs.
Orman House Historic State Park
The house was built in 1838 by Thomas Orman. The wood for this two-story home was cut to measure near Syracuse, New York, and shipped to Apalachicola by sailing vessel around the Florida Keys, then assembled on the bluff overlooking the broad estuary and bay of the Apalachicola River. Guided tours through this restored two-story home combining Federal and Greek Revival styles are conducted hourly Thursday through Monday.
Panhandle Pioneer Settlement
The Panhandle Pioneer Settlement is a living-history museum with a collection of 18 historic buildings, dating from 1820 to the 1940s. They are arranged on five acres to replicate an idyllic farm community. During the year, the Settlement is home to numerous public events and festivals, as well as classes on the trades and crafts of the past. The Settlement’s buildings have all been restored. Most have been decorated with antiques to replicate what they would have looked like in their prime. Among its bona fide treasures of historic preservation are the three styles of log cabins commonly built in Florida: the round log, the split log, and the dovetail log. There are animals for the children to enjoy as well as an old General Store. Anyone with a love for old tools and equipment must visit the Blacksmith Shop, Firehouse, Methodist Church, and Doctor Dowling’s Office.
Located on Highway 90 in the Marianna Historic District, the 1890’s Russ House serves as the Visitor Center and is open for tours. It also serves as a meeting and events venue.