Apalachicola Maritime Museum
The museum preserves, celebrates, and promotes the maritime heritage of Apalachicola and provides a glimpse into the rich and diverse history of the Flint, Chattahoochee, and Apalachicola River basins. The museum features educational programs that expand knowledge through experience with excursions to pristine barrier islands, kayak rentals, estuary cruises, wooden boat building school, and sail training. Visit their website for a list of daily activities, times, and fees. Picnics are welcome aboard the boats. For more information, please visit www.ammfl.org.
Apalachicola National Estuarine Research Reserve & Visitor/Nature Center
Not to be missed, the Center richly interprets the diverse habitat found within this 246,000-acre reserve, which is one of 25 sites designated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration to provide long-term estuarine research and monitoring, education and interpretation, and resource management, as a basis for more informed coastal management decisions. The 3,000-square-foot center features marine habitat displays, including three simulations of key aquatic habitats in the river, bay, and gulf. The Howell Building houses a 100-seat capacity auditorium, is equipped for slide and video presentations, and provides space for the Reserve’s monthly guest lecture series.
E.O. Wilson Biophilia Center at Nokuse Plantation
The center honors the legacy of famed entomologist E. O. Wilson. Founded by local businessman and conservationist M.C. Davis, Nokuse Plantation comprises 50,000+ acres of Longleaf Pine ecosystem. Ranked as the 6th most biodiverse area in the continental United States, less than 2% of it remains intact today. As such, it’s an ideal place from which to educate students on the importance of biodiversity and to encourage conservation, preservation, and restoration. Designed by architect Anthony Vallee, this state-of-the-art learning center enables visitors to witness a working beehive, see rare bird species, observe several species of snakes and frogs, view wildlife dioramas, and learn from the organization’s wildlife experts. Though the Center’s focus is on 4th and 7th grade classroom education, it is open to the public the first Saturday of the month.
Historic Bank Building
The historic bank building in Marianna was built in 1902 and was the first bank in the state to use an adding machine. Today it serves as a museum hosting local artist exhibits, meetings and events. It is available to rent for events, please contact the City of Marianna.
Panama City Center for the Arts
The Panama City Center of the arts has both permanent and temporary galleries for every art lover. The center is home not only to beautiful and engaging galleries but a variety of programs. Area artists dedicate their time to the centers workshops, classes and lectures. Numerous events are also held through out the year celebrating the vibrant arts and culture community in Panama City. For more information visit centerfortheartspc.com.
World’s Smallest Police Station
Featured on “Real People,” “Ripley’s Believe It or Not,” and the “Today Show,” the World’s Smallest Police Station is located in Carrabelle on the north side of US 98 as you drive west. In the early 1960s, the police phone was bolted to a building at the corner of US 98 and Tallahassee Street. To avoid problems with tourists making unauthorized long distance calls and protect officers from the elements, the phone was later placed in a booth at its current location. However, the illegal calls continued and eventually the dial was removed from the phone. Vandals later ripped phones from the booth, shot holes through its glass, and knocked it over. The original booth is on display in the Carrabelle Chamber of Commerce office.
Carrabelle History Museum
Opened in 2009, local residents have built the collection through donated historical pictures, genealogy, memories, and household and work items. Special displays highlight Carrabelle’s First People, Local Heroes, and the Steamship Tarpon, which was key to building Carrabelle in the early 1900s. The museum is open Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays from 10 a.m. til 5 p.m. For more information, please visit www.carrabellehistorymuseum.org.
The Chipley Museum small yet impressive displays and artifacts of agricultural tools from cotton and peanut fields, clothing, and other artifacts. It is located on 7th Street.
Gadsden Art Center & Museum
The Gadsden Art Center in Quincy, is housed in the original 1910 Bell and Bates Hardware Building. Quincy restored the old Leaf Theatre and opened the impressive Gadsden Arts Center & Museum on the courthouse square. The Center features local and regional artists, and premiers new and innovative pieces throughout the year in its 2,200 square foot main gallery, community room, children’s gallery, classrooms, and gift shop. The basement offers a photo lab and pottery studio. Please visit www.gadsdenarts.org for more information.
Heritage Center of Freeport Museum & Visitor Center
This newly opened facility has benefited greatly from Freeport’s historian, Beckie Buxton, who has been compiling stories and photos of Freeport for decades. Visitors can browse through wonderful exhibits of Freeport’s families and businesses. The collection includes furniture from the McCaskill home, an icemaker from Casey Ice House, photographs, and additional items on loan from Freeport residents. The museum is manned by a staff of volunteers. It is open from 12 noon – 5 p.m. on Thursday – Saturday.
John Gorrie State Park
A young physician named John Gorrie moved to Apalachicola in the early 1800s when it was a prominent port of trade, commerce, and shipping in Florida. Gorrie served as postmaster, city treasurer, town councilman, and bank director. Concern for his yellow fever patients motivated Gorrie to invent a method for cooling their rooms. He became a pioneer in the field of air conditioning and refrigeration by inventing a machine that made ice, and received the first U.S. Patent for mechanical refrigeration in 1851. A replica of his ice-making machine is on display at the museum, as well as exhibits chronicling the colorful history of Apalachicola.
Muscogee Creek Museum
The museum is part of a rural relief complex including a food pantry and second-hand clothing shop. The main building, a 1913 school, houses the tribal office, museum, and gift store. The Muscogee Nation of Florida, also known as the Florida Tribe of Eastern Creek Indians, is a Tribe of Creek Indian people whose home is centered in Bruce, Florida. Those who formed the modern nation followed the Choctawhatchee River south into the State of Florida from Dale County, Alabama as early as 1837 to escape the federal government’s removal policies. The museum offers a glimpse into what life was like in Bruce from the early 1900s until today. For more information, please visit www.Mnof.org.
Camp Gordon Johnston Museum
Nationally honored by the Smithsonian Magazine for three straight years, this museum is dedicated to the heritage of World War II soldiers. The museum focuses in particular on the quarter of million men who trained for amphibious landings at Camp Gordon Johnston, which closed in June of 1946. It includes extensive history of these units as well as a photographic display of the area and life as it existed at the camp. Artifacts are displayed in themes — Barracks, Equipment, War, Home Front, Camp Gordon Johnston, and Franklin County Veterans. Museum hours are: Monday through Thursday 1:00 – 4:00 p.m., Friday from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m., and Saturday from 10:00 – 2:00 p.m. Visit www.campgordonjohnston.com for more details.
Three Servicemen Statue South Detail State Park
Located on Water Street in front of the Orman House in Apalachicola, The Three Servicemen Statue compliments the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington D.C. Along with The Wall, this monument serves as a symbol of our nation’s honor and recognition of the men and women who served in the Vietnam War. This monumental figurative work of soldiers speaks to what renowned sculptor Frederick Hart called “their true heroism that lies in the bonds of loyalty.” Visit www.threeservicemenstatuesouth.org.
On the side of State Highway 77 in Wausau stands what may well be Florida’s most unique roadside memorial – the Possum Monument. Unveiled in August of 1982, the inscription reads: “Erected in grateful recognition of the role the North American possum, a magnificent survivor of the marsupial family pre-dating the ages of the mastodon and the dinosaur, has played in furnishing both food and fur for the early settlers and their successors. Their presence here has provided a source of nutritious and flavorful food in normal times and has been an important aid to human survival in times of distress and critical need.” The 1982 session of the Florida Legislature further recognized the possum by passing a joint resolution proclaiming the first Saturday in August as “Possum Day in the Great State of Florida.”